Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Question about baked chicken w/ condensed cream of chicken soup?

I am making a baked chicken dish which I have put together and have ready in the fridge to bake. It is chicken breasts topped with swiss cheese, then a sauce made of cream of chicken soup, sour cream, white wine, pepper, garlic powder, a touch of dijon mustard. Right before I bake it I'm topping it with crushed croutons and drizzled butter.





My questions are:





1) I do not like how the sauce is smelling, it smells like canned chicken soup which I'm not crazy for. Do you think once it is baked it will not be as strong and blend with the other ingredients?





2) Does this sound ok?





3) Do you think serving this over a crispy pepperidge farm puffed pastry shell would be good?Question about baked chicken w/ condensed cream of chicken soup?
Your recipe sounds great! Everything will meld better once its been cooked- no worries. I use soup all the time and it absorbs the other flavors when you cook it. I would have put the sauce on the chicken and then covered with gruyere/ swiss cheese. Chicken will take on sauce and the sauce will take on the cheese. Puffed pastry sounds like perfect compliment- you definitely need a starch to go with it. Or maybe smashed potatoes with garlic? Would go well with your sauce. Hope you have a nice dinner!Question about baked chicken w/ condensed cream of chicken soup?
I'd come over and have that anytime you asked me!
Go for it . It will be fine once the flavors blend. Puff pastry shells will be great!
The smell WILL dissipate. Give it an extra shake of garlic powder!


Sure, on pastry would be cool. With mashed garlic potatoes.
1. Once its baked the sauce will take on a different smell and taste with the blending of the different ingredients. If you don't like the finished product, try it next time with cream of celery or mushroom soup. But give this a chance, it sounds great!


2. Sounds fine


3. Very nice! Would also be good over wild rice!
Not being a huge fan of cream of chicken soup ( I think it's too salty), perhaps you could try cream of celery or cream of mushroom (my personal fave). The sour cream actually brightens the flavor of creamed soup, even the chicken kind...just be sure not to add salt! Good luck and bon appetite!
The recipe does sound good. Especially served over the puff pastry shell.





I hate the way cream of chicken soup smells and i usually found it to taste the same way. I never tried a recipe that used it with sour cream and white wine so maybe that will dilute the taste. Give it a try; if you don't like the taste, maybe you could substitute something else next time.





Let us know how it turns out.
I cook with cream of chicken soup occasionally, and I can definitely tell you that it will not smell so canned soup-ish once it heats up and cooks along with the chicken.





I think a rice pilaf would be a better side than a pastry shell. I've never used those myself and don't really know how they taste, but I feel like an actual side is in order. Try making rice with veggies or something along those lines, it won't take you too long and goes deliciously with the chicken.





Sounds pretty yummy, although I don't know where you got the idea for a sour cream, canned soup, and mustard sauce. I think you might have been better off with the canned soup and some seasoning, on its own. Good luck with your meal!
it sounds delicious! i don't think it will smell like that so much once it's cooked and the other ingredients blend with it. and i think the puff pastry is perfect. it sounds like a classy chicken pot pie. If you don't mind i think i'm going to steal this recipe! :)
You might consider the chicken you used, was it fresh and washed well? Not trying to find fault--but you have to be real careful with chicken. If the chicken was fresh, go ahead and bake it----the recipe sounds great! Also the wine may cause an unpleasant odor and you are using some other strong ingredients.





Go ahead a try it--the pastry shells sounds great or some noodles would be good too.
  • internet explorer
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment