Saturday, December 26, 2009

Can I freeze cream based chicken recipe?

We have a favorite recipe for Lemon Artichoke Chicken. Chicken is sauteed. Then a 'sauce' is made from the dripping w/ lemon juice, zest, sherry and whole cream....then baked in the oven for 30 min. Does anyone know if I can prepare this dish up to the point of baking and place it in the freezer? Not sure if the cream will have 'issues'? Tx-in-advance!Can I freeze cream based chicken recipe?
freezing cream is not an issue it can be done it the reheating that can cause you the problem as it may have a tendancy to break down as for the time factor to prepare the sauce i found cream type sauces are better prepared and used immediately and they hold there consistency better ...i have done cream soups in the freezer but i perfer not to and they break down and you have to fix them with a roux and it change the recipe.....i would just make the fresh...the water will seperate from the cream if you could heat it and whip it it could be ok but with it on the chicken it probably will seperate...try freezing the sauce seperate and then add to chicken after reheating and mixing good on stove...Can I freeze cream based chicken recipe?
I would put the chicken in a time machine and send it to the time you want to bake it.
Try a stable thickening agent, arrowroot, or roux, to keep the cream from separating if you must freeze it but your recipe seems to lend itself to fresh preparation.
My experience is that cream based dishes will 'lose' something when freezing them and then baking. The cream will tend to separate and or become somewhat watery. Easy to fix, but you need to know that up front. Perhaps I'm a very fussy cook, but as long as I know what to expect, I can deal with things. Happy freezing! btw- sounds like a good recipe. Want to share?
It should be fine. Freeze first and then bake, not after. If you thaw it the cream may have a different consistency... but once you bake it, it'll turn out fine. Sounds yummy!!
Yes, you can!





How about emailing me that recipefor Lemon Artichoke Chicken?! It sounds DELISH!!!
Yes you can. Cream is not an issue when freezing. I do it all the time and I work for the Health Department if that's any consulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment